Tips and Tricks: Going green in your home
While we’d all like to do our bit for the environment, busy schedules and just not knowing how can make that difficult. So we’ve put together Big Yellow Self Storage’s top Tips and Tricks for going green in your own home:
1. Recycling. Sometimes the most obvious techniques are the best. Just taking the time to recycle old magazines, cardboard and cans makes a real dent into how much goes into landfills, especially if everyone takes part. Most of our boxes and packaging is made from recycled paper! If you’re a bit confused about what you can and can’t recycle, check out recyclenow.com’s easy to use list.
2. Energy Saving Light Bulbs. With the old non-efficient light bulbs on the way out, why not get ahead of the curve? These Bulbs can be up to 80% more efficient which not only saves the planet, but also saves you money. Look out for the energy saving logo to know if a light bulb you’re buying is as efficient as it can be.
3. Chemical Free Cleaning Products. Most cleaning products used by the public are filled with chemicals that not only hurt the environment but you too. Allergies, Asthma and rashes like eczema can be triggered or made worse by these chemicals ingredients. Do yourself a favour and make the switch today.
4. Solar Panels. Up to a third of our stores now have solar panels installed and in this past year we’ve increased green energy output by 11.5%. One big advantage of the panels is that, once they’re installed, you need to do almost nothing. Just sit back and let them turn sunlight into electricity.
5. Think Before You Throw Away. Always think over throwing out an old piece of furniture. Is there a way you could reuse it? Selling items on eBay is a great way to make money and self storage is a greener alternative to letting things you no longer want cluttering up your house go to a landfill. Visit us at www.bigyellow.co.uk and we can help you with our environmentally friendly self storage solution.